|In just a few days Advent begins. It is a time of active waiting and conversion, during which we are invited to pray and act, accompanying our faith with tangible deeds that care for and repair our common home.|
This year, during Advent, between November 30 and December 12, COP28 will take place in Dubai, where leaders from around the world, including Pope Francis, will gather to make key decisions for the future of our planet.
That is why we propose that you respond to the Pope’s call in Laudate Deum and send a clear message to Sultan Ahmed Al Jaber, president of COP28, by signing the petition with our requests and hopes.
|Read and sign the petition here|
Remember: during this Advent, our action and prayer is critical for our Common Home and that of future generations: “Let us not love in word, nor in tongue, but in deed and in truth” (1 John 3:18).
Pope Francis has stated very clearly (in Laudato Si) that care for our common home is not an optional or secondary part of our Catholic faith. Below are listed a number of places where we can find help.
- Brentwood Diocese has a booklet with ideas on how to care for our environment.
- Redbridge Climate Change has many resources to assist with Recycling, Collection of unwanted goods, tips on reducing emissions, a Green energy guide and many other things. Please see https://www.redbridge.gov.uk/about-the-council/climate-change/
- Ethical produce and gifts – Organisations such as CAFOD and Amnesty International sell ethical products.
- Fair Trade – local supermarkets in the High Road, George Lane and the Galleria sell certain Fair Trade goods.
- Refill Stores . There ia also a local refill store where one can purchase goods that do not use plastic packaging.
- Online apps such as Freecycle are available to enable you to donate unwanted goods.
- Our parish church collects donations for the homeless (please see newsletter for details).
For details of help with recycling, collection of bulk waste please contact http://www.redbridge.co.uk or call 020 8554 5000
Please consider if items that you no longer need can be donated to local charity shops. For collection of good quality furniture etc to be reused by charities please contact TCL Reuse, Ilford http://www.tclreuse.org or call 020 8553 5880
Please recycle batteries. These can be recycled at South Woodford Library.
Redbridge Climate Forum Redbridge Council is committed to tackling the climate crisis and in our Climate Change Action Plan we set out our ambitions in becoming a carbon neutral organisation by 2030 and carbon zero organisation by 2050. Visit: https://engage.redbridge.gov.uk/redbridge-climate-forum
South Woodford Society Along with many residents, the Society is concerned about the environment and sustainabilitity and we’re passionate about protecting our green spaces. On our website are listed a number of initiatives which are linked to the environment along with ideas of what you can do to get involved. https://www.southwoodfordsociety.org/env-greenspace